Thursday, March 5, 2009

Getting stuff done

I had wakeful night a days ago, the kind where your mind is churning and won't let you rest until you either promise yourself you'll make a list as soon as you rise in the morning, or you actually get up and make that list in the middle of the night.

Of course, as this stage of the game the churning is all about things I need to get done in the next few weeks, and the upcoming Big Change in our lives. And because this stage of the game is also accompanied by raging hormones and uncomfortable tossing and turning, I inevitably found myself sobbing piteously in my poor also-awake husband's arms.

Luckily, Sweetie McPie has a miraculous gift for dispelling my anxieties, and I finally succeeded in getting some sleep. Which I needed, in preparation for the week of Getting Things Done.

I got up in the morning and made a list, which was a great comfort. I wrapped up the final stage of my editing job. I finished painting the trim in the baby's room -- a task that was precluding putting up the new blind I picked up on the weekend. I vacuumed the entire house from top to bottom. I collected a few more items for the "birth box". (This is the pile of supplies we need for the home birth -- plastic sheets, old sheets and towels, heating pads, and whatnot -- currently, the crib is serving as the box.) I cleared out three milk crates worth of junk in the basement via garbage and recycling.

Meanwhile, I've also managed to get to the gym a couple of times, have a few naps, keep up with the laundry, start another wool soaker, and try a new recipe. (It was a seemingly random supper request from McPie that was surprisingly easy to fulfill.) It helped that the kids were in Quebec City for a few days with the Mom for March break. They just got back tonight, and... I didn't realize that I missed them. They are tired but enthusiastic and we had a super chat over supper (leftover meatball soup!*), getting caught up on the past couple of days.

You know, I don't know anything about having an infant, and the next few years will be an adventure and enormous learning process -- I know. But unlike most new moms, I do know already what it's like to have kids. I might be a little spoiled because Ben and Constance are such incredible kids, but I must say that having the opportunity to be a parent to them is a big part of the reason it was an easy decision to want to add to the brood. I feel fortified as I head into the adventure knowing that it will only be a few short years before the Little Fella becomes a person I can chat with, relate to, have fun with, learn from, and hang out with, like I get to do already with his brother and sister.

So, regardless of whether I get done all the stuff in the next couple of weeks, there are good times ahead!

*Anything with meatballs = automatic kid favourite.

No comments: