Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Historical fiction

I'm reading The Book of Negroes right now, and I have to say it's one of the better reads I've enjoyed in quite a while. It may be that I've been subjecting myself to really crappy reads lately (a string of books I haven't been able to finish), and so this is wonderful in comparison, but still. Good book. Not mind-blowing in style or theme, not necessarily a book to make you pause and consider the meaning of life, love or other philosophical issues (but it might -- slavery and war and all), it's just simply a good read. Simple, solid writing style, really well-paced*, and a well-balanced, likable main character -- sympathetic, slightly omniscient, but not too complex. But I would say historical fiction at its best.

* I don't know if I really understood what "well-paced" meant until I thought about it in the context of this book. It's related to not being able to put it down. The story moves along just-so: the narration never lingers too long on a particular event -- the next plot-point is always beginning to unfold just when you're ready for it. I suppose this is obvious, but this book is making me appreciate it.

While I'm on the recommendations, can I mention Lululemon underwear? Every time I put them on I think "I hope other people know about the wonder of the Lulu gitch." They are miraculously comfy -- all of the three (um, thong only) styles I've tried so far. (For full coverage, two words: Jockey bamboo.)

No comments: