Thursday, March 12, 2009

Nesting

I've gotten to the point now where I feel the need to do every little thing that's on the list NOW, regardless of whether it seems like it could possibly wait. For a natural procrastinator, this is a paradigm shift, but it feels good.

My midwife came over on Tuesday night to check out our space to ensure we'd have everything all set up properly for the birth. I'd addressed many items on the checklist she's previously given me, and we fine-tuned the necessary set-up steps. (I also had my check-up -- everything is fine.) As soon as she left, I got down to business. Although it's likely I'll last another couple of weeks, I might as well get everything ready NOW. Just in case, and also, to keep busy to help with the waiting!

So, I cleared all the surfaces in our bedroom and bathroom, double-checked the fit of the plastic sheets, prepped the garbage bings, made a checklist of things that need to be done when labour starts (for me, McPie, and Mom to refer to at the time), created my phone number lists, called to nag about the dresser for the baby's room (still hasn't arrived!!)... etc.

I finally picked up my diapers and am in the process of boiling and washing them. I've dug out all the newborn sized baby clothes/blankets to run through the wash. (I was going to wait for the dresser, but see "nesting", above.) I've got nursing bras. The bathrooms are clean. I've laid in a few frozen food items.

And McPie and I went to a movie. (The Watchmen. I think it was pretty good. I didn't really get it, and I had to close my eyes for some of the gore, but it was more "filmy" than most comic book movies.)

Luckily, I have plenty of events coming up in the next couple of weeks to keep me distracted -- baby shower, wine club, birthday party, arrival of Mom, haircut/highlights appointment... I'll be hoping for a longer bake-time, just to fit everything in.

Of course, if I get everything completely ready, it's pretty much a guarantee that I'll go overdue or something. Nothing ensures a surprise early arrival than not being ready for it!

Update: In a fortuitous turn of events, the dresser for the nursery came today! All the small sized baby clothes are now put away, and I have a change table!

No comments: