Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The doom is upon us

McPie and I often joke about going to hell, and how it won't be so bad because we'll be together, and won't the handbasket be cozy?

But after visiting the Régie de l'assurance maladie Quebec web site today, I think I may have already moved to the Seventh Circle of HullHell.

Remember when you really needed a passport because your trip to Europe was coming up more quickly than you realized, and you still procrastinated getting in the application because it was just so damn complicated? Go here to get pictures, go there to get forms, find someone to sign stuff, wait in line at another place...

Well, let me tell you, getting Health Card in Quebec is WORSE. You have to CALL to REQUEST that they send you an application form. (Who has to use the phone for application forms any more? Forms should be on the INTERNET. I'm getting a sales rep from Adobe to call the Quebec Ministry of Health, stat!) You have to get your own damn picture (signed by a notary of course), MAIL IN ORIGINALS of your documents (birth cert, passport, etc)... and then god knows what because I stopped reading after that.

And then, I read this "When travelling or when outside Québec temporarily, persons holding a valid Health Insurance Card can receive healthcare services covered by the Québec Health Insurance Plan. However, in most cases, the Régie de l'assurance maladie reimburses only part of the cost."

My doctor is in Ontario! What can this mean? In addition to the taxes I have to pay (why oh why did I fess up to moving to HellHull in October? I've never had to fork over before in my LIFE! I contribute to RRSPs! and now three months of honesty is gonna cost me MUCHO DINERO) I'm not completely sure that my regular check-ups will be covered.

(All that that uppercase formatting? Yes, I'm yelling.)

2 comments:

Trixie said...

i'm still not 100% on why you guys live in hull anyway... sure uprooting kids in school is a good reason but paying for healthcare? that's so...american!

sounds like you are in a right pickle. where is ken's gp?

Ms. Hedda said...

I actually think I'm overreacting (but I'm calling my doc to be sure). In fact, I believe the family's doc is actually located in Ottawa.

Because of the shared custody, we'd have to convince the other parents to move too (or convince them to drive the kids FURTHER to school).

Or, we'd have to drive the kids to school every day. Our current life goal is to SUBTRACT from our current total busyness.

Obviously, I need a blog entry on "why I live in Hull - it's not JUST about the love". :-)