Monday, April 9, 2007

A gallery of news

Because I'm being daily chewed up and spit out at work, my free time - though a premium - is generally being spent these days lying goggle-eyed and speechless on the couch. But there's a lot going on! I'll let pictures do the talking, proverbially verbose as they are.

First, we have a new family member.
This sweet thing arrived early on a Friday morning, with my chewing my fingernails nervously because my mother hired "regular" movers rather than real piano movers. It all worked out, and now we all have a new toy. In fact, the children were at first respectful and impressed, and then simply bored. Me, I've only had a little time to play around, but am looking forward to having her tuned later this week. She's been mine for 25 years, but I haven't had her (or used her) for a dozen or more. The coze factor of our living room has been upped (not to mention the clutter factor.)

Green Gable progress. It's been slow but steady. I'm most of the way into section C, but I have flaws. Two major flaws. There is a hole - seriously, like a buttonhole - on one of the sleeves. Eep. and one of my shoulder seams is wonky - I think I added only one stitch at a marker at some point. I've adjusted so that I'm working with the right number of stitches... But The effect is bad: it's like the stitches after the errors are scurrying to regroup into the correct formation. I'll do a bit more so I can check the sizing, then I'll start again to correct the flaw - either confident of the sizing, or adjusting accordingly. I've made more progress on the knitting than the reading of the book I'm supposed to doing for the book club meeting I'm hosting this coming Friday. Again, eep.


On the knitting front - I organized "the box" on the weekend. Up til then, I'd just chucked all knitting-related paraphernalia into a box... It was chaos, and only a matter of time before the invasion of the bugs. So, I ziplocked the hell out of it, and finally went through the box of needles my Baba had given me. I have 18 4.5mm double-pointed needles. And I have no idea where all the yarn came from.

And, a mystery package arrived in the mail today. A book. I recognized it right away, and guessed where it may have come from. This is a first edition (paperback in Canada) of Alice Munro's first book of short stories. More importantly, it's the same edition of the first Alice Munro book I ever owned and read. I received it when I was no older than 13, and I read it many times... but lent it to someone, and never saw it again. It turns out that my mom hunted down another (used) copy and sent it to me for my birthday. (She had given the original gift - for Christmas all those years ago.) Also, it turns out it was her first Internet purchase. A gift that lets her grow in modernity and experience, while taking me back to my roots. I'm looking forward to sharing the stories with Sweetie McPie - we've been talking about reading AM together, and this would be a neat place to start.

Ok, so maybe I'm not so good at letting the pictures do the talking.

6 comments:

Trixie said...

the piano looks nice in the living room. beverly's feet don't look the least bit crowded.

gg is looking great too. i squeezed a skein of the organic cotton at len's mill yesterday. very nice yarn! and a great color.

you sound rather zen about the potential frogging. congratulations. all part of the process. and it'll only make the finished product a)that much better and b)something you'll actually wear. yea!

how is the constant princess going, anyway? a good bodice ripper? i like historical fiction and felt that the two phillipa gregory books that i read toed the line between bodice ripping and nicely detailed historical fiction but in a fluffy, appeal to the masses way. and i did read them when i was still all wacked out from lack of sleep and just needed something light before bed. think it will generate talk at the book group?

nice present from your mom. how lovely that you can track your admiration for ms. munro to a particular moment in time.

did i ever tell you about the time my mom was mistaken for ms. munro? they were both serving dinner at a charity event. a man at my mom's table took a moment to say, ms. munro i've always enjoyed your stories. to which my mother responded, thank you!

she made sure to pass on the compliment. heh.

speaking of birthdays, missy. i have a present for you that is in the making. almost done. but probaly not going to be there by saturday. next week for sure! still love me?

Ms. Hedda said...

It's the bookcase that we had to tuck behind the TV console (on the other side of the room) that is crowded. :-) My line is that we're going for the "academic eclectic clutter" look.

You mom met Alice? Wow. I remember hearing her interview by Shelagh Rogers one time, and I wanted to adopt her as my Grandma.

The Constant Princess... hard to get into. I'm only a hundred pages in and it's not really grabbing me. A few bits have made me cringe. I think I like my history toothier. But I found a great recipe for medieval stew that I'm going to make for the book club potluck. We'll probably end up talking about the anachronistic feminism... (if there is any, but there are hints so far)...

My birthday is Sunday! So, next week is closer. ;-)

Ms. Hedda said...

And besides, your bday parcel was meant to be your Christmas prezzie!

Trixie said...

why did i think the 15th was saturday? this is what i get for never ever looking at a calendar. the good news is that my hair appointment is on saturday, not friday. excellent. i'm thinking of going for a shorter, choppier do. whatchu think?

Ms. Hedda said...

Shorter! Choppier! Go go go!

Change is always good when it comes to hair. The ever-renewable resource...

Anonymous said...

Well written article.