Friday, April 13, 2007

Dear 10th floor kitchen nazi

I GET IT, OKAY?

I get that it's not cool to leave dishes in the sink. But I have one bowl, I use it for oatmeal every day, and it NEEDS TO SOAK for at least seven consecutive minutes in the sink or I can't get it clean. And if you keep taking it out of the sink before it's soaked, I will keep putting it back in the sink until I can get the oatmeal off without having to scratch for 5 minutes with my fingernails. (I don't get how it's better to have a dirty bowl with disgusting dried oatmeal crusties sitting on the side of the sink.) Please, just let me soak the damn thing for a couple of hours, and then I will remove it from the kitchen altogether.

****

Update on Canada's Universal Medicare situation:

Although a bit dog-eared, apparently it still exists. My Ontario doctor does accept Quebec healthcards. And the folks at the Régie du French Medical Stuff are very nice; they explained everything very clearly, and didn't make me join the FLQ or even speak French.

But the process will take weeks, and I will have to pay cash if I want to get a referral for physiotherapy in time for get me fixed for Frisbee season... Luckily, my injury stops hurting once I get warmed up. I'm certain that's a good sign.

****

Birthdays apparently roam in packs.

January and April are the big birthday months in my circle. In January, there's Trixie and her fella, and the Taller Funner Sister. Today, I woke my Mom out of a deep slumber to wish her a happy 57. It's also Vicki's big day today. Hi Vicki! Sorry about the coworker singing. I'da warned you, but Lori's eyes and ears are everywhere...

And since this is all about me, I'll point out that exactly 32 years ago today, Mom spent her birthday as big as a whale and about to head to the hospital so they could "cut the f***er out!" (F***er=moi. I was late, as usual. And also stubborn.)

Turns out that Leonardo da Vinci shares his special day with someone really important and also self-absorbed. My plans for Sunday involves champagne and chocolate truffles. And enjoying family time (and birthday cake? There'll be cake right? In addition to the truffles?) And possibly even getting out of bed. But I'll play that one by ear.

****

Green Gable - no progress. None. I've been busy with the Constant Princess. The constantly boring me out of my skull, I can't wait to get this book club meeting over with so I can chuck her out the window Princess.

3 comments:

Trixie said...

today is also the boy's sister's birthday (christa). happy birthdays all around. labor would not be a fun way to spend your birthday. nice first present you gave your mom.

why are you finishing the book if you hate it? stop reading it. devote yourself to more enjoyable things. i promise the world will not end if you do not finish your book. besides, it is historical fiction, right? you know what happens.

your birthday plans sound nice.

put a bitchy sign up in the kitchen asking people to leave your bowl in the sink so it has time to soak. do it before they post a nasty note asking people to remove their dishes from the sink.

good news about the health care. yea!

as for the gg, meh. next week, right?

Ms. Hedda said...

Don't worry - I'm not finishing the book. Book Club is ce soir, chez moi, and I'm less than halfway through - Prince Arthur is on death's doorstep and just told Catalina to marry the 11 year old brat Henry. It MAY be about to get good (better), but I'm certain it won't get as good as Crow Lake or The View from Castle Rock will be.

And I'm going to add GG to the birthday plans. :-)

Anonymous said...

I knew McPie would do it up right.
I love you Ms. Hedda. Have a great one!