Monday, February 9, 2009

Good times, good news

Ah, what a weekend. We totally lucked into an opportunity to spend the weekend at a fabulous "cabin" in the woods. (ie: beautiful large log cottage). Parents of a pre-school friend of Ben's generously offered to let us use their cottage on Lac Ste-Marie. We would normally be too shy to take anyone up on such an offer, but Ben has specifically asked for -- as a birthday present -- a weekend at a hotel with ALL of us (all the parents and kids). It was the one thing he really, really wanted and kept mentioning. None of us felt we could afford it at this time, and then the cottage fell into our lap (coincidentally ON Ben's birthday, when the parents dropped the friend off for the party, and mentioned spending the Christmas holidays at their cottage.)

Anyway. Less than an hour and a half away. Spacious, cozy, well-equipped log house in the woods with a tubing hill on site. The six of us headed up on Friday and arrived in time to enjoy a cheese fondue dinner (and chocolate fondue dessert, naturally!). It was wonderful. Fun-loving Maman and Dad tired the kidlets out on the tubing hill, while the slightly lazier stepmoms (me and Lilly) got a lot knitting done. I can't wait to post a picture of my latest wool soaker -- I'm doing it double-thick with a gorgeous sea-green Cascade wool (9461). We are so out of camera batteries though...

So, totally relaxing, fun weekend, with lots of good food and conversation. It's actually the first time the six of us have gone away and spent a weekend together (other than Christmas last year, but that was mediated by a million other people), and it was wonderful. Easy breezy. Children are outnumbered by parents 2:1, so there's always back-up, and always time and space for adult time.

And! Both moms examined me in a midwifely way -- that is, they took turns palpating my burgeoning belly -- and confirmed that the Young Fella is in fact in the perfect position. (I swear he flipped around on the very day that my midwife told me he was sidewise.) That little lump by my ribs on the right side is FEET (not a head), and the other lump on the left side of my belly button is BUM! And the rumbling down by my left hip flexor is SHOULDER! And HEAD! (Not feet.) And he's the "perfect size" (so far)... Which means, not too big.

They did disagree on the topic of stretchmarks though. Celine says they can suddenly happen in the last week; Lilly said if I don't have them by now, I'm good to go. I really want to side with my knitting partner on this one, but will keep an open-mind. :-)

Anything can change in the next six or seven weeks, but it's a great place to start.

No comments: