Friday, December 19, 2008

Excusez-moi, je ne comprends pas!

I suck at speaking French. In fact, I don't even suck -- I just can't do it at all. I swear I can make up conversations in my head en français, but when it comes to getting anything coherent out of my mouth, I'm completely useless.

It's something I need and want to overcome, but I just don't know how. I'm exposed to a lot of language here at home and around my neighbourhood, but it's not helping at all. I'm often able to respond correctly (in English) to questions posed in French: Do you have an air miles card? Do you need a bag? Is there anything I can help you with... But even though the answers require just one word, I still manage to say them in English! I can't even manage to add an et vous? to the end of Bien, merci.

My oral understanding is only slightly better than my speaking. It's pretty hit and miss what I catch and what I totally miss. (In which case, my best laid plans for Je suis desolée, je ne parle pas français fall by the wayside and I just scrunch up my face and whine Um, sorry?) The kids and their grandmaman I can follow fairly well, and occasionally a stranger speaks either slowly enough or without the Gatineau accent that I can at least nod or shake my head appropriately. (Like the girl in Planète Foot who helped us pick out a soccer jersey for Ben. Somehow I knew what was going on there.) A fellow at the bus stop asked me if the bus came on the half hour, and I was able to answer that it came at 11:20 and 11:50. (I answered in French! I at least know my numbers.) But I think he was actually an English speaker who assumed I was French...

The other day, I forced myself to inquire about and ask for bus tickets in French. I practiced the very simple sentences in my head for like, two days. And I still sputtered and stuttered, turned red, and ultimately mixed up veux and peux, and failed to add the s'il vous plait! Thanks to the young lady at the cash who had the restraint to not roll her eyes (she simply handed me the tickets and clearly tried to not switch to English; she was humouring me).

At least I've mastered Merci, bonne journée/soirée, so I can end my pathetic interactions on a somewhat positive note.

1 comment:

Sleepwalker said...

It seems when you are relaxed, you are doing fine. Maybe you are putting too much pressure on yourself to do it right? Try speaking knowing you will make mistakes and understand that people will be grateful that you are trying and doing your best. Bonne chance ma chouette!