Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Speaking of food

I wasn't, actually, but I've been thinking a lot about it (and also eating regularly, go figure), and will eventually proselytize about it. As I tend to do.

(I hear you Trixie: "Save me now!")

But in the meantime, here is a quick-and-dirty (and very interesting) article on conscientious seafood eating. I'm starting to hate "what to eat" guides, but reading this made me think it would help me in the grocery store, rather than make my head hurt.

The book mentioned in the article, Bottomfeeder: How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood, was also reviewed in this past Saturday's Books section of the Globe and Mail. I think. I didn't actually read it (but my Saturday paper lasts all week, so guess what I'll be looking up tonight?)

And, if you're still reading, here is a bit more: in the NY Times.

Link-happy today, or what?

2 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

Hey Ms Hedda, I have been reading The 100-mile Diet and loved it. Before you dismiss it, read a few chapters. The authors are journalists, they love food and the book is fun to read as well as informative.

Anonymous said...

We are now the proud owners of a bag of headless smelts as a result of info we gleened from the review of the fish-eating book. The kids love them. I mean, they like them as friends; I gave them each a frozen headless fish body to check out and fondle. They wanted to keep them! I explained that we would eat them, fried, with ketchup. They said, "oh, well, can we keep *these* ones?"