Friday, September 7, 2007

On the latest read

I started responding to Trixie's comment as a comment, but found I had enough to say to warrant a real post. Me? Opinion on a book? Surprising.

I loved Divisadero, though was at first confounded by the split stories (that is, the California vs France stories). Well, not confounded completely. After digesting the ending, I spent half an hour describing the issues to McPie and explaining (ie: working through) the thematic reasons it makes sense. But I read the book really quickly (in two and a half sittings, really), and at the time, I was like WTF?

However, it's beautifully written in traditional Ondaatje style, and both stories were completely compelling (that's why I burned through the book so fast -- I couldn't tear myself away), so I can't complain. The definition he gives for "divisadero" is obviously key, same with one of Anna's final comments about seeing the story of her "siblings" in everything/everywhere, but I'm not sure that gets Ondaatje completely off the hook for the enormous divide in the storylines. Artsy and experimental, fine, but not totally clean IMO. But, a joy to simply read, even if the digestion is not as smooth as the consumption. (Similar to The View from Castle Rock - a pleasure to immerse myself in the sentences at the time, but the overall takeaway was perhaps less than the sum of the parts, possibly for structural reasons...)

I think Trixie may have also said this about Divisadero too: I want to go back and peruse the text more slowly, to absorb some of the images again. (I loved how Rafael carried herbs in his pockets and made meals from almost nothing. I want to be that guy!)

In the Skin of a Lion continues to be my fave. That one stands up to (and improves with) many reads.

We WILL want to line up The Other Side of the Bridge once we're finished Crow Lake. I think McPie and I will do that one together too, since I've heard it's also as suspenseful (which works really well for read-alouds). Maybe I can borrow it when I return Crow Lake and the Alice Munro? ;-)

2 comments:

Trixie said...

hmmmm, yeah, i read it so quickly that i missed the connection between the two stories. i was sure the end would tie the two together. i need to read it again, more slowly, savoring every word, and look for -- what? -- whatever it is that makes it make sense? i dunno.

across the bridge is not yet a part of my library. i'm waiting for the paperback.

Ms. Hedda said...

As far as I can tell, the relevant links between the two stories (besides the simple fact of Anna studying the life of Lucien) are thematic - the types of relationships examined (unrequited lovers, father/daughters, etc). I think it's relevatn that it's Anna telling both stories; the second one is definitely her invention, filled in around the bare facts she's found, through the lens of her own experiences.

Ondaatje adds in his typical markers: an enigmatic "thief", ther relationship between anonymity/solitude and "naming"... I also found the triangle of Anna, Claire and Coop really similar to that of Alice, Clara and Patrick...

I think my mom has the Bridge - I'll get her to bring it and I could pass it along...