Wednesday, September 26, 2007

And onward into a new season

After spending a summer enjoying sports as our main leisure activity, we looking forward to diversifying as the weather turns colder.

We're jump-starting this with a culture buzz: I picked up tickets for The Penelopiad at the NAC next week! I quite enjoyed the book (the Atwood version, of course!), and I'm looking forward to seeing it done "out loud". I'm not sure I'll be able to convince McPie to study up ahead of time, but I doubt that'll be necessary to enjoy the show. I'll try to find time to post a review.

I've also been eyeing the incredibly enticing lineup in the upcoming ballet series at the NAC. It's all fantastic companies doing totally interesting ballets. I don't know if we can (or should) afford to see them all, but it will be hard to choose. I knew I should've gotten a subscription!

Speaking of subscriptions, we were lost for a few weeks when our Globe and Mail subscription expired and we had failed to renew it. We only get the Saturday paper, and we're lucky if we get through reading 3 articles in it, but collecting the paper from the porch on Saturday morning's as we prepare our coffee gives us a keen sense of leisure. Like we are embracing the slow. Which we actually do in many ways - just, it rarely feels like it as we go go go.

Once ultimate is really over in the middle of November, we'll have lots of time for reading. McPie and I finished Crow Lake (really enjoyed the read; the jury is still out on whether the ending was satisfying, but the contentiousness of it has resulted in some interesting discussions.) Anyone have any suggestions for a book that would be good to read aloud? We're looking for our next candidate. (Fiction, please! The real world is a drag.)

And, speaking of culture (I'm about to show that I define that very loosely), I gave McPie his first piano lesson last week. It was fun! He's a quick study of course, though is perhaps over-eager to put both hands together before he's ready. As he put it - as a drummer he's great with his limbs, but that talent doesn't necessarily extend to "limblets". I guess between piano lessons, we'll look forward to more rock 'n' roll shows this winter.

In other news: we are driving down to Hamilton this weekend to visit Baba, and are looking forward to spending time with the family. My cousin Scott will be home from Australia! Haven't seen that kid in years. I planned on posting an update on last weekend's jaunt down there, but got mired in sentimentality. Will strive to complete. But the summary is, to borrow a phrase from the kids these days, it's all good.

No comments: