Monday, February 5, 2007

Lesson learned

One thing I'm learning to not take for granted is the logic of an adult as superior to that of a child. Especially if you are spewing forth your adult logic while doing three other things, such as feeding the cat, cooking supper, and dodging your mate, who chosen suppertime to re-organize the pantry.

We've been trying (by "trying", I mean "thinking about") to get Constance off of food that exacerbates her eczema, such as dairy products, eggs, etc. Sunday morning, we narrowly avoided a fight by convincing her that a bacon sandwich would make a yummy breakfast without having to eat eggs. (McPie served up a bacon and CHEESE sandwich... sort of defeats the purpose, but at least we tried.)

Later in the day, while I was feeding the cat, cooking supper, and dodging my mate, who had chosen suppertime to re-organize the pantry, Constance wondered why she's not supposed to have eggs. Although her parents had always given her rice or soy milk, the no eggs idea was a new one (based on meticulous Google research, of course.)

I patiently explained that since eggs and milk all came from the same place, they all contained the same type of proteins that made her eczema worse.

To which she gamely replied: "Well, I eat eggs all the time and they really don't irritate my skin, and besides..." She looked at me a little strangely, "Cow's don't lay eggs."

Either I've been bullshitting for so long that I can't decipher my famed faux facts from reality, or I've been living the urban life too long: I was actually surprised when she pointed that out. Because as I was telling her about the protein, I was totally picturing a cow laying an egg, and it didn't seem illogical at all.

3 comments:

Trixie said...

did you manage a nice recovery, like execllent! i just wanted to see if you were paying attention.

heh.

what other famed faux facts have you convinced yourself are true?

Ms. Hedda said...

Not even! I was too shocked at my brain fart.

Another faux fact I've taken to much to heart: I don't REALLY need to swatch...

Anonymous said...

re: swatching. not always, but sometimes yes you do need to swatch. scarves, nah. a hat, not always. sweaters, um yeah. wouldn't want to say after all that work that i *should've* done a swatch!