Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Downside of "Canadian content" rules

Apparently there's not enough content out there, because I keep hearing this damn Arcade Fire song. You know, the one with the children's choir, the Clash/Springsteen/Elvis Costello-channeling singer... Not a fan of Mr. Costello, I'm afraid. Or Arcade Fire.

There may be other downsides, I don't purport to know anything about the CRTC and Canadian content, but this is the issue on my radar now. Although probably I'd hear it all the time because Arcade fire is "just SO HOT right now" (thanks Marsha Lederman)... Of course, this assault to my poor little ears may be my fault after all for listening exclusively to CBC Radio One. Don't even get me started on Adrian Harewood, he of the less-than-zero bantering skills. I think he's in the "personalities" section of the CBC web site by accident.

(I know that I likely stand alone in this judgement - of AF... I'm pretty sure I know a few others who think Adrian is a dud), and also that someone sometime will make me listen to a whole AF album and I'll LIKE them after all. It won't be the first time that's happened. F me.)

2 comments:

Trixie said...

my thoughts on the AF are meh. they had one song that i liked but i think i liked the video more than the song. mostly they are pretentious. and they way they give interviews wants me to smack them: they are artists. they hate having to do press.

shut up! if you want people to buy your records it goes hand in hand. suck it up and stop being such a whiney baby.

and really AF was "really hot" over a year ago. the CBC isn't exactly where i'd go to find the pulse of good music.

Ms. Hedda said...

"Really hot" in the US, I think was the idea. They're playing SNL this weekend. (CanCon takes a while to filter out. And then sometimes it dares to filter back in - see Barenaked Ladies. Blech.)