Monday, February 26, 2007

Filler project

After finishing my lovely Fuzzyfeet, I wanted to keep knitting so badly! But was at a loss as to what to start on. I'm dying to begin a sweater, but that requires research to find a pattern for an adventurous beginner (I'm adventurous simply because I dare call myself that!), and the right yarn, etc. I also wanted to make more Fuzzyfeet... but didn't have an opportunity to get the required yarn.

So, inspired by my FREEZING COLD OFFICE (we call facilities every day, to no avail. We are in a brand new made-to-our-specs building, but I think maybe they mixed us up with the San Jose office, because this place sure ain't built to protect us from the -30 degree weather.) Where was I?

Right -- wristwarmers, in progress:

They are a crazy red, I know that. My freezing cold workplace is reminiscent of my high school (oh so many years ago) which was not built to be a high school, and was incredibly drafty. We wore uniforms, which did not include warm sweaters, and any attempt to wear a contraband (yet warm) sweater was dealt with swiftly and harshly by the administration. Using an little-known loop-hole in the uniform rules, I constantly wore a scarf around school. It was red angora. I loved it. I was also a geek. But warm.

My wristwarmers offer a small homage to those days.

I taught myself a new stitch for these (adding a stitch purl-wise. Simple, but I didn't have to look it up, so feel like a genius). Tomorrow, I offer up my excuses for why I will like never finish this project...

3 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

Wristwarmers - what a great idea! Do keep it up. We want to see pictures of the wristwarmers in use in the office.

Trixie said...

look at you rocking the dpns!

love the needles too!

Ms. Hedda said...

The magical turquoise sticks will get a post of their own one day. (maybe even today!) They are made of casein (a dairy protein), and are flexible, soft, just the right amount slippery... they practically knit by themselves.

Unfortunately, the tip broke off of one when I took it to the Hammer on the weekend. A lesson in knit-stick care...