Thursday, September 18, 2008

Something I've been meaning to tell you

At the risk of being crass, I'll say it in pictures:



In case that's not clear, or you're not entirely convinced, here's the "definitely without a doubt" version:


Is that weird? taking pictures of pregnancy tests? I couldn't help it - it seemed so monumental at the time. And look, I've found a use for them!

So, yep, that's me! Should I say us? In a romantic twist of fate, I took those pictures on mine and McPie's wedding anniversary, July 27. Which makes me just about three months pregnant. If all goes well, we'll have a new mini-kidlet around March 30.

Yay!

I feel like it would be irresponsible to drop the bomb and then run away, so here are a few random details and thoughts on the whole thing:
  • I haven't suffered any sickness/nausea. A little indigestion (which is actually hunger half the time), but that's about it, and even that is passing.
  • I was pretty tired, but not exactly "hit by a 2x4" tired, and that seems to be passing. Afternoon napping has helped, but I think my naps now are a result of simply having the time to do so (ie: would happen whether I was pregnant or not!)
  • I am showing already. If you didn't know me, you wouldn't guess, but those who do can definitely notice. (Thank goodness for the low-cut waist styles of recent years; my pants may fit for a while yet!)
  • Because of my late-in-the-month due date, getting a midwife through the usual routes will be touch-and-go. Luckily, we're quite immersed in the local midwifery community, and we are (trying to be) positive that I will be able to have midwife care through some avenue or other.
  • Wine club is going to be... not quite the same, but happily, it's become almost as much about the food so I'll be able to indulge on the munchies if not the vintages.
  • The kidlets are excited and happy. Constance especially so (yah babysitter!). Ben is more of a muller-overer, but I like to think that the increased closeness in our relationship of late has to do with his realization (on some level) that I really am a permanent part of the family, and about to be related to him (my son will be be his brother. Not that I know I'm having a boy, but in Ben's mind, it's the only option.) Of course, it could just be that I am spending more time with him in a non-anxious state, due to my new, improved employment sitch.
  • Les mamans are pillars of support and knowledge (both being midwives), and have promised to field 2 AM freak-out phones calls without question.
  • I think it's possible that not slowing down physically helped me to feel (relatively) great through the first trimester. I played a frisbee tournament at 6 weeks, and Nationals at 7 weeks, am still playing twice a week, and haven't reduced my workout schedule (though I have adjusted the content of workouts slightly. I expect both the consistency of schedule and adjustment of workloads to continue!)

The nesting instinct has begun in the form of knitting urges. However, I haven't exactly acted on them, because my inspiration wheels are rusty, and I just don't know where to start. I did find a baby blanket recipe and have purchased the yarn to go with it... But I'm missing the exact needles I need! (Otherwise, I'd be knitting right now...) Any other suggestions for knitting projects welcome (non-baby stuff too!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, that's fantastic news! I'm so very, very happy for all of you!

And how lucky that you have Les Mamans to turn to when you're wondering "Is that normal?!?"

Anonymous said...

Wow - congrats (to all of you). Pretty exciting. Amazing really. Cool.
Hmm, as for baby knits - the Stitch N' Bitch book has some decent baby knits. I think little booties are kind of cute and in theory are a "quick" knit.
For non-baby knits, hmm it might be a good time to learn how to knit lace? Then you can tell me how hard it is!
Congrats on the new family member.
vicki

Sleepwalker said...

Bravo! Félicitations! I am so very happy for the 4 of you. You are in excellent health and adjusting the workouts should do the trick. Glad to hear you will still be holding the wine club meetings. You might try sampling non-alcoholic ones? Who knows? They might turn out to be decent. Sending big hugs your way!