Friday, September 5, 2008

Only thing missing is the frilly apron

Last night for supper, I made meatloaf for supper. And peach cobbler. And then the 1960's called, wanting their stereotype back.

But damn, do the kids love the meatloaf. Actually, it was meat muffins, and they each ate two. I could only finish one. Then they begged for the lefties in their lunch.

I was going to go on a rave about how the Complete Canadian Living cookbook (my second most-used reference, after Lucy's Kitchen; my copy is even autographed by Elizabeth Baird!) has these awesome charts that show how you can vary the flavourings of basic recipes like meatloaf or muffins or fruit crisps (eg: last time I made lasagna meatloaf; this time it was chili meatloaf)... but that would veer dangerously toward "boring domestic mommy blog" territory and nobody really wants to go there, do they?

So I'll change the subject. I started back at the knitting yesterday. (I'm not straying far from the 60's with that one, am I? Ah well...) I started a scarf for McPie last October... it's not far from finished, but I hadn't touched it since maybe last March. I picked it up yesterday and knit while listening to Afghanada. It felt good to be back at it. I figure I'll allow myself to start a new project (something quick and easily gratifying - probably knit on enormous sticks) only when I've finished this one. Last night I picked it up again, and noticed that where I started back to it yesterday, the gauge was totally different for the rows I'd knit that day. Everything I'd done yesterday was noticeably looser than the part of the scarf that I had knit last winter.

I'm thinking this is concrete evidence that I'm feeling a little more relaxed these days!

No comments: