Tuesday, September 9, 2008

At a loss

I'm having one of those days. There are lots of things I could be doing right now, but I'm either overwhelmed or underwhelmed by the possibilities... I'm not sure which, but as a result I seem to be paralyzed by indecision. Or indolence. So far I've managed only to sit at the computer -- which is fun in itself; I have a new laptop and it's all shiny and smooth, and Windows Vista is novel. But I was even procrastinating writing this post.

Really, what I'm dying to do is a) buy and install a new toilet, and b) start tearing up our turquoise vinyl kitchen floor so we can install the awesome new cork that we finally picked up on the weekend. But for these I need a) a car, and b) some degree of expertise, or at least.

So, what to do? It's raining cats and dogs, so I'm postponing a trip to the grocery store until it clears up. I finished knitting that scarf for McPie last night -- I need to block it and sew in the ends (but I can't remember which order to do those things.) I have some pineapple that needs to be made into muffins. I STILL haven't fully put away the basket full of clean laundry in our room (but I did de-clutter the closet yesterday, so it's primed to receive more stuff). I could sit down for awhile down at the piano, or curl up with DeNiro's Game...

I'd have thought it would be a no-brainer, to curl up with a book just because I can. But I'm struggling with this mental negotiation that I think is based in guilt of some sort. Even though I told myself I'd take time (weeks! or more!) to "just relax" (by which I think I meant something along the lines of "holiday"), I'm having a hard time getting my head around the idea that I am allowed to not be working for just a little bit. There are a lot of "shoulds" swirling around me, and maybe my top priority should be to banish them.

Probably a list of some sort will help... :-)

1 comment:

Sleepwalker said...

The first couple of weeks of freedom are tough... Routines (with variety) help. I was just on a site that discusses that - linked from Zen habits - and I actually printed out some pointers and put them in a binder. I have been getting daily emails from the site and have mostly read them. Today is the first time I actually take action and it feels good. I think I was spurred into action because I now have a deadline (starting work soon)
Good luck with your transition. Try and keep the guilt at bay...