Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Me? Competitive?

Back in the day, I used to go to aerobics classes. Step aerobics, instructor-led "body toning", that sort of thing.

Then, when I moved to Ottawa nearly eight (!) years ago, I inevitably got into ultimate. The last thing I ever expected to do was play a team sport, but once I decided I liked the frisbee, I had to do it until I got it right (or, rightish). I got pretty serious about it, each season upping the number of nights and level of play in which I participated, and managed somehow to play at Nationals a couple of times.

It changed my life in many ways (subject for future posts perhaps), but in one particular way that I've just noticed of late...

This year, I've taken the winter off of frisbee, due to injury and practical other technical reasons - the first time in like five years. At the same time, I went back to aerobics classes. It's a little different from what I recall of pre-frisbee aerobics.

Now, I try to win the aerobics class.

It's true. I find myself trying to use a higher step, a heavier body bar, or jumping a little higher, lasting a little longer than the others in the class. Sometimes, I go into "hot D" mode, and try to beat the instructor. The class is a success if I "win". (The fact that this leads to a better workout is a mere side story.) When McPie picks me up after class, I report on how much, how high, how long, and on which exercises I failed to be the best in the class. Just like after a game.

However, at the Plant Rec Centre, it's a bit of an empty achievement to "win" against little old Chinese ladies.

So, I think the conclusion (if not the moral) of this story is: I can't wait to get back on the field!

4 comments:

Trixie said...

the reason i like step so much is because i try so hard to execute each combination perfectly that 45 minutes just whips by. i think i actually annoy the people around me by being so into it. heh. but i do like a pefect score at the end of the class.

i miss going to the gym with you.

Ms. Hedda said...

Every single time I go to a step class I think of you. I imagine you giggling at my gangling awkwardness, and rolling your eyes at a lame instructor. When I have a silly instructor who just can't do it right, or there's weird ladies in the class, I imagine the conversation we'd have about it.

Trixie said...

awww, bless.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you brought up ultimate because PJ and I voted you the captain of the Loons.

Ken is going to play too. We've already decided.