Wednesday, March 14, 2007

In a










In an effort to be disciplined, a "quick" update.

Recent past:
  • Wrist-warmers halted. The magical turquoise needles shattered. Quite literally. I will be getting a new set, and then I will be heeding the care instructions to a word.
  • March break with kidlets: We sent them to "outdoor adventure camp" and we get the coldest week of the winter. Obviously. Shyness was overcome, friends were made, kids were happy.
  • Whirlwind tour of the tri-city area (for me that is Guelph, Waterloo, and the Hammer). Presented Mom McPie with NEW BLUE fuzzyfeet. (Pics and story to come.) Enjoyed a too-long-awaited but worth-the-wait visit with Trixie and family. Lunched with Ye Olde Baba in her new digs at the Villa Italia - made sure she was happy in her new home. (She is.)

Relative present:

  • Spring has sprung (a leak) in the Nat Cap region. McPie and I celebrated the early DST change with a glorious after-work jog last night. We ran for a good hour, and still got home before sunset. Oh, the glory! Today, it's pouring rain - definitely springtime.
  • Big trip to Ikea tonight. Something we avoid like the plague really, but it's an emergency situation. We need 30 cheap wine glasses and a will-do-for-now window covering, stat. Ikea is it. It's also right beside Chapters, where I'll pick up The Constant Princess for my book club meeting. It's been a long time since I spoiled myself with some historical fiction.

Foreseeable future:

  • Mom and her fella visit this weekend on their way back to the Farmhouse. Irish menu is planned for Saturday. No green beer. Green beer is not Irish; it's a travesty. Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day? If so, why (are you Irish? You don't like snakes?) And, how? Just curious...
  • Plotting my next knit-project. Ready for adventure. Trixie sent me to the Green Gable, and I just might try it.
  • Wine club. We're hosting the inaugural meeting in 10 days and counting. Plans are afoot, wine has been bought. Research in progress. Post to follow.

Bullet point lists. I'm so predictable.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loathe being out and about on St. Paddy's Day. For those that like a drink and know how to do it without losing control of their bodily functions, St. Paddy's Day is amateur night. Or, as a friend said once as we tried to maintain our space among the madding crowds, 'this is my tree, I pissed on it, now fuck off'.

FG
p.s. I was going to put 'drink with aplomb' rather than referring to vomiting etc. but I couldn't rightly claim aplomb.

Ms. Hedda said...

Well put! (However you can work "aplomb" into a sentence is acceptable!) I haven't celebrated St Paddy's "out on the town" in years. Like, ten of them. Simply getting shit-faced in a pub with a billion others doesn't seem apt at all. Especially not after experiencing what a true Irish pub can actually be like.

A sip of the Bushmills and a round of Blarney seems more apt. On Saturday, we're stewing up some corned beef and cabbage (an admittedly Irish-immigrant meal) with colcannon, and the old folks will tell the young folks how they used to be allowed to throw stuff (rotten tomatoes? mouldy potatoes?)at the Orangemen on parade, back in the day.

Anonymous said...

a joke I gleaned from hanging out at Gentle Annie's pub -- what's the difference between an apple and an orange? you never heard of an apple bastard, didja?

FG

Ms. Hedda said...

Oh, I'm so getting that out on Saturday!

Trixie said...

hullo,

mind if i post a pic of you and mcpie on my blog? it was lovely to have you here.

i think i've only "celebrated" st patrick's day once. at the shelter. and it blew chunks. not me, just it in general. you, me, kris, jp, who else? do you remember?

oh! and one time my mom came home with some cheap st. patrick's day cake from the grocery store and we all ate it with our fingers. i'm not sure why but it was fun to lick off all the green icing.

Trixie said...

p.s. it is weird to see "trixie and family" but i guess we are one now. huh.

Ms. Hedda said...

I'm pretty sure that the Bomber was the last place I "partied" for St. Patrick's. I think it was Meg that blew chunks.

Trixie said...

snerk!

Sleepwalker said...

btw - very nice pict