Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Green Gable: 1, Hedda: 0

I am also excited about my imminent knit-a-along with Trixie. Or, I was. Unfortunately, the Green Gable has teamed up with Life to kick my butt before I've even started.

While Mom visited on the weekend, we managed to sneak out the not-so-local yarn store (NSLYS) and pick up some yarn (Bernat Organic Cotton in Cactus - pale green). I'm less than expert at this knitting thing, and this is like the second real pattern I'm working with, so we were extra careful to find something that (supposedly) matched the gauge noted in the pattern.

Shortly thereafter, wonder of wonders, I discovered an hour alone in the living room. (Mom etc were touristing, McPie was at band practice, and the kidlets were PLAYING SILENTLY BY THEMSELVES.) I swatched with diligence, my excitement mounting.

Long story short, I'm getting too many stitches to the inch, even when I try bigger needles. (I'm not a really tight knitter: I blame the yarn and sticks entirely.) I can only upsize so far, until the knitting begins to look more like macramé. Trixie's already described the issues that come with mis-gauging, and that's combined with the strange sizing of the pattern.

My options (as I see them): A) take my yarn back and try something else, or B) do some rudimentary and probably faulty knit-math, and dive into the project with what I've got while espousing Trixie's liberal philosophy of frogging.

Thing is, I'm too busy with other stuff to do either. In addition to juggling regular house stuff, sick kids, and band performances, McPie and I are in the midst of planning and researching for our wine club. This coming Saturday, we're hosting the premier "meeting". We've picked out six wines (and bought 5 of them), have roughly planned the course of the event, a general menu, and are in the midst of putting together all the information for each wine/vineyard/region. (Yes, we are geeks.) Since we have the kidlets this week, this work goes on in the evening hours between 9 and 11. Sometimes while watching/cursing House, M.D. (It's a ridiculous show; yet we watch it every week. How does that happen?)

The jaunt to the NSLYS will take about as much time as wrestling the knit-math - hours! (Or at least 60 contiguous minutes.) I expect to cobble that time together sometime next week. Around the same time that I plan to do my taxes and get my act together enough to download pics from my camera for posting on this very site. I'm excited to tell about the new resident in our house. (A story for another day. Or week.)

Anyway, that and the next showdown with the Green Gable is going to have to wait. I'm sure you're holding your breath.

3 comments:

Trixie said...

i say forge ahead! try on as you go and then decide.

oh how i wish i could be a part of your wine club.

Ms. Hedda said...

We wish you could be too!

Anonymous said...

"taking the yarn back" is akin to "leftover wine", there is no such thing. Improvise.