Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wheat free

I've been wheat-free for nearly four weeks now, and I sure wish I had something exciting to report. I haven't noticed any particular physical changes, nor have I found it a mental or domestic challenge. Wheat has been extremely easy to give up.

I guess that itself is exciting news.

Probably the transition has been easy and the effects minimal because I've actually been transitioning away from wheat products for a long time now. No cereal for breakfast or sandwiches for lunch, and my junk foods of choice are dark chocolate and salty nuts. (Both of which remain firmly entrenched in my diet.) The key change has been that now I can't pop Tim's leftovers (grilled cheese or pb&j sandwiches) into my mouth when he runs from the table. Nor can I cave to a pb toast craving. But sandwich lunches for for Tim and toast for me were already less-than-daily occurences, so no big.

And, it turns out that some of the few substitutes I've had to find for, say, pizza crust, burger buns, and chocolate cake, are WAY BETTER than the wheaty versions. A fantastic discovery: socca bread, a flatbread made with chickpea flour and water. We've used it for pizza crusts and burger buns, and everyone in the family has declared it a superior product. Then Constance made a chocolate cake with three ingredients: chocolate (a blend of semi-sweet and unsweetened), butter, and eggs. It was amazing. Better than the flourless chocolate cake we had at Taylor's the previous weekend.

And these.
They may look like your standard peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, but no! They are flourless! (Also dairy-less). Just nut butter (in this case, a mix of natural peanut butter and sunflower seed butter), sugar, baking powder, an egg, and chocolate chips. Mix it up, throw 'em in the oven and OMFG. (Yes, I gave up on the sugar-coating partway through.)

Anyway, despite the lack of drama (or because of it?), I'm quite attached to this wheat-free diet. I think I'll keep it. I'm not foisting it on the rest of the family, but because I do most of the shopping and cooking, everyone benefits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of socca. I will use it as a bread substitute when the peanut butter toast craving hits. I find that giving up gluten isn't so hard - the only time I crack is when I'm at a restaurant and a reuben with onion rings calls to me… I've found the Tinkayada brand of rice pasta is very good - seems to be impossible to over-cook and it doesn't turn into mush.
The cake that Constance made sounds good!