Friday, January 22, 2010

In Appreciation of My Mother: A Domestic Lament

Dear Mum,

I apologize for all those years when I didn't put my dirty dishes in the dishwasher. I'm sorry I left dishes and every other kind of clutter on any surface of the house. I'm sorry for ever expecting you to make my toast when I was perfectly capable of making my own. I apologize for leaving behind a mess in the kitchen after making a lunch. I'm sorry for pouting when you said "I shouldn't have to ask you to do it"; I know that having to ask me to pick up/put away/clean up every little thing made you feel like a nag.

Mum, rest assured I am getting my just desserts, my karmic reward for every dirty plate I left behind. Every day, as I weigh the cost/benefit between nagging or just doing it myself, I know that I caused the same drudgery, back when I didn't know better.

I know better now, as I suspect my charges will too. One day. Years and years from now.

Thanks for not giving up on me. I won't give up on them, either.

Love,
Heather

No comments: