Thursday, November 5, 2009

Working in the workouts

I may have mentioned this before, but I realized in the first couple of months after Tim was born that "baby weight" probably actually refers to the weight you gain AFTER you have a baby, caused by not having the time or energy to exercise, and being stuck at home and prone to snacking. Luckily for me, Sweetie McPie took a leave from work just in time to help me get off the baby weight path, and back into a habit of regular activity. It was easy with two parents at home.

Then, when McPie headed back to work in September, I knew it was going to be challenging to keep up the workout regimen that we'd developed over the summer. Not only would I not have a co-parent, but I'd lose my workout partner. Not to mention that many of our workouts consists of hauling weights and other equipment out to the backyard, and the increasing cold weather was going to prevent that soon.

So I set a modest goal of "four workouts per week". No specifics on what the workout needed to consist of -- it could be anything that either made me a little stronger or got my heart rate up (ie: walking doesn't really count, even though I'm doing a ton of it these days.)

I've actually been doing pretty well at achieving my weekly goal. It's helped that we played frisbee up until last week, Sundays and Wednesdays. So I really only had to worry about two other days. (Technically, McPie and I were alternating Wednesday games, but he gave most of his to me, to give methe opportunity to get out of the house.)

For those two other days, I had to get a little creative. I did a few stroller-runs, which are quite awkward but did the trick. (Tim only barfed from motion-sickness once.) A couple of times I was able to lift weights in the living room while Tim napped. Constance helped occasionally after school, keeping Tim while I ran madly around the block. And when nothing else worked, I just held him in my arms while I did squats, and laid him on the floor under me while I did push-ups. These were Tim's favourite workouts -- he loved the up-and-down of the squats, and giggled like made and grabbed my hair when I lowered myself into the push-up.

Now, frisbee is over until spring, so we must hatch other plans. Last night, McPie came home and sent me on a 5K run. I was a km or two into the run when I realized how long it's been that I did a night-time winter run (years -- I was pregnant this time last year). Sticking to my planned route led me down the path beside an unlit parkway... and here I am wearing completely head-to-toe black. I was like a ninja, only at half-speed. I had to keep my eye on the yellow line of the bike path to see where I was going; not only was it very dark, but I wasn't wearing my glasses (not usually a problem in daylight!)

Ah well. The run was a success, and I expect that I'll be able to do an after-work run weekly. Later in the evening, I was complaining about how stiff I was from workouts earlier in the week, and McPie suggested I find a late-night yoga class that I could sneak out to weekly after everyone was in bed. It took a bit of surfing, but I found this. A 9:00 pm class is perfect! I plan to sign up when I get back from Florida, where I'm heading next week.

So, yoga, a run, and surely I can fit something in on a weekend day when everyone else is around to help... That leaves just one or two days during the week when I'll need to fit Tim into my regimen. I'm all set for the winter, and I'm saving plenty of $$ since I let my gym membership lapse last month.

Did I mention the vacation we're about to embark on? Tim and I are flying down to Florida and meeting up with my sister and nephew, and my mom (Baba Jr) for a week of baby fun in the sun. We're staying in some condos on the beach (the ocean side), with some family friends that we never get to see. Friends -- sisters -- we've known all our lives who also happen to have new babies. I think the condos have wi-fi, so I'll be sure to post updates. Check here for maximum cuteness. (Plus, my mom will be babysitting, so I'm planning some warm weather workouts!)

2 comments:

vicki said...

I'm super impressed with your dedication to training. If you're interested in yoga, check out yogadownload.com. They have a range of yoga classes that you can download in mp3 format. I downloaded some of the free 20 minute yoga sessions and then string a couple of them together. As an avid yoga fan, I find the yogadownload.com routines quite challenging and well instructed.
Enjoy Florida. I've never been so I'm curious to find out what you think.

Sleepwalker said...

Half-speed ninja! Still laughing.
A friend came back from Montreal where there is a new training system. You buy a pass and you get a trainer in the park (with or without stroller). The pass is good for any park with the program so that you can vary. It seems popular and is supposed to go through winter. Hmmm.