Thursday, November 12, 2009

Welcome to New Smyrna Beach

The shark bite capital of the world. No kidding.

But a lovely place nonetheless. Most importantly, it's warm. Well, it was yesterday and will be tomorrow. Today was chilly -- just the break in the sunny weather we needed for an excuse to go shopping. We shopped 'til we dropped, which wasn't actually that long but not bad for a couple of moms with their babies. Cross-border shopping out of the way, we can now get on with the vacay.

Yesterday we strolled on the beach, and I went for a dip in the ocean while Julie watched the sleeping babies in their strollers. The water was beautiful, though the surf was quite strong so I didn't go in far. (I'm all responsible about safety now, you know.) And I'm pleased to report that I did not get bitten by a shark. The pool was unheated and very cold, but we expect that to be remedied by tomorrow. There is a kiddie pool!

Also, I've been for a run already -- hopefully there are a few more to come. Discovered that running on a beach sucks. Even though the sand is firm, the slant of the ground is too much for the ankle. Guess I could've seen that one coming. Instead, I explored a nearby residential area.

Admittedly, it's pretty strange to be away from McPie and the kids. I'm pretty sure that this is the first time Tim has been apart from his Dad since he was born. Even with my mom and sister here to help (and help they do), I feel sort of oddly alone and bit anxious, I guess because I'm on my own for once as Tim's sole caregiver for the time being. But he's a great companion, and we're having a good time together. I'm even kind of not minding sleeping with him in a single bed (long story, and don't worry, the mattress is on the floor for safety).

Which is all good, because when we get home next week, Dad will be in China, and we won't see him for another four days. Yikes! I hope Tim is ready to take on the role of "man of the house."

No comments: