Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Saol fada chugat*

Last night at frisbee, a teammate I was chatting with mentioned that she was going on vacation to Ireland at the beginning of September. She and a friend were going to rent a car and just drive around, touristing... I immediately went into gush mode, mentioning that my mom and I had vacationed in Ireland, where we rented a car and flew by the seats of our pants. I assured her that a friendlier place could not be imagined; that no matter what they did (and knowing this friend, much pubbing is likely on the agenda) they were sure to have the time of their lives.

Later in the evening (actually, tossing and turning, unable to sleep thanks to a sore belly - likely from eating too late after the game), it occurred to me: it was exactly ten years ago THIS WEEK that my mother and I were whooping it up on the Emerald Isle. I set about trying to remember all the wonderful details of that trip:
  • The totally jetlagged but breathtakingly scenic drive from Shannon up into Connemara on our first day
  • Falling asleep in our mead at the medieval dinner at the end of that first jetlagged day
  • Riding bikes through the mist of Inisbofin (throwing up on the tiny ferry on the way over, but keeping our eyes on the horizon on the way back)
  • Getting dragged by some young Dubliners to an illicit (and non-alcholic) dance when the pubs shut down on Inismor
  • Walking solitary along the rugged and completely deserted coast of Inisheer, and convening at the one pub on the island, where the young local fellas were fascinated by the "new" lasses
  • Finding the perfect keepsake in the form of an antique emerald ring (for mom) in a tiny shop in Cork
  • The clatter of our hostess's wooden teeth at our B&B in Kilkenny (the tiniest room in the world - we pretty much had to sleep with our suitcases)
  • The amazing meal in Kenmare (an unexpected stop on the way to Dingle); it was salmon, naturally
  • An unplanned but completely enchanted sunset exploration of the tip of Dingle Peninsula, where we discovered hidden Celtic ruins and ancient churches
  • Stopping along the road wherever we were overwhelmed by the scenery, where mom invariably went after the sheep that were inevitably ambling about
  • Touring the Jameson whiskey distillery, with mom volunteering for the complete tasting experience... at 10 AM! (We've been Irish whiskey aficionados - or at least drinkers - ever since)
  • Sitting on a wet bench in Dublin, grease dripping from our chins as we gobbled our paper-wrapped fish and chips
  • The smell of burning peat in the air - everywhere -- there is no more comforting scent anywhere on earth
  • The lovely, bountiful, delicious, refreshing beer.

I could certainly go on and on. And I would go back in an instant (in fact, my sister and I travelled to Northern Ireland a few years later, and had a wonderful time there as well.) In fact, I'm feeling inspired - when I return from our vacation, I'm going to dig up some of our pictures from that trip, and scan them for posting.

If you ever get an opportunity to visit Ireland, GO. I promise, you will love it.

* Long life to you!

No comments: