Friday, August 22, 2008

Aftermath, plus vegetables

Our trip to Calgary for Nationals was a success! Ken's team, GLUM (Green Light Ultimate Masters), won the national championship trophy for the Master's division (men over age 33). They were undefeated in the whole tournament. Scarlett finished 10th of 12, which doesn't look that great on paper, but everyone on the team brought their "A" game and we managed to eke out a win on each of the three days of the tournament. An awesome result for a team consisting of mainly rookie talent: many of the women on the team are playing competitive ultimate for the very first time this summer, and have only participated in a few tournaments.

The tournament conditions were challenging. The average temperature out there was about 30 degrees, with not a cloud in the sky. Combined with the dry air (which, of course, is arguably better than hot AND humid), and the 3500 ft elevation, we ended up pretty much zapped each day, and for days after we returned. (After struggling zombie-like to get some housework done on my day off on Tuesday, I gave up and called in sick on Wednesday, to spent a much needed day in bed, just plain sleeping.)

We did manage to squeeze in an afternoon drive through the mountains Kananaskis country, where we said "Wow" quite often.

Now, we're looking forward to a relative break in the frisbee schedule. (Of course we don't give it up in the Fall, just scale back to fewer games a week, and skip it altogether on weeks when we have the kids.)

Speaking of looking forward: Bryson Farms has finally added central Hull to their delivery circuit! Starting tomorrow, we're going to be getting farm fresh, locally grown organic produce delivered to our front door! I know there are other CSA farms in the area, but I am a bit delinquent in my research, so I waited to sign up with the one that has a completely online enrollment system. Sigh.

I explained to Constance how were were going to be getting awesome veggies delivered weekly. A little while later, I heard her exclaiming "I can't WAIT until we get all the delicious vegetables! Yum!" She also gets very excited when she finds out that she's eating "happy animal" meat from the butcher. Sometimes, I'm not sure she's a real child.

Anyway, besides all the obvious reasons I'm happy about our imminent vegetable influx (not the least of which is the variety of heirloom tomatoes!), I'm looking forward to trips to the grocery store which will now only require a quick dart in for fruit, dairy, and bread.

But of course, baking bread is high on my list of Job Responsibilities, so it's possible that IGA may fall off radar altogether, and I can rely on the our local health food store for my milled goods... (Oh, how I dream!)

My garden is still producing: we are regularly gathering swiss chard for sandwiches and sautéed greens, and we are soon going to bring in the carrot harvest. I have a hard time getting to the beans while they are still young and tender, but the kids like eating the big, starchy ones raw. Didn't have much success with the cherry tomatoes -- too much rain, I think, and not enough drainage in the pots. The plants lost most of their leaves, and only produced about one tiny ripened tomato at a time. Each of which I promptly popped into my mouth.

No comments: