Monday, July 14, 2008

What's the colour of a busy summer?

Scarlett.

I spent this past weekend in Toronto, playing at the women's provincial championships for ultimate - playing for a spot at the Canadian Ultimate Championships in Calgary.

We managed to pull it off, and won the final Ontario spot in the women's division. I'll spare the details, but by the end Saturday pool play, things were looking grim. Sunday morning, we managed to pull out all the stops, and gave the rival team a serious shit-kicking.

Joining a competitive team was not something I necessarily planned for this summer. I always like to attend Nationals (and have lucked into picking up with teams in two of the past three years), but because I'm not able to commit to bi-weekly practices and many tournaments, I never go to tryouts and instead enjoy league play and pick-up teams for tournaments during the summer.

But after having done a bit more focused training over the winter, I've been playing with a little more confidence, and have been enjoying the frisbee so much more this summer than in the past couple years. When I heard that Scarlett (the women's competitive B team in Ottawa) was looking to round out their relatively short (as in numbers, not height) roster with a few more players, I couldn't resist enquiring. Things worked out, the captain graciously agreed to let me practice only once a week... and now I'm going to Calgary with a group of awesome ladies. (And McPie is attending too, with a Masters team.)

So, now I'm up to three nights a week of frisbee for the next month or so, and that makes all the other days that much squeezier. I'm SO not complaining - I get to do even more of something I love, have an excuse to go on a fabulous vacation with my hubby, get to stay in shape while doing it... And I still have a couple of days a week that I can use to catch up on (or prepare ahead for) all the things that can fall by the wayside when we're out of the house most nights of the week.

Oh, and! The second biggest highlight of the day! On the drive home from Toronto, we rewarded ourselves on our victory by stopping at the Big Apple for pie. What a crazy, kitschy place. But good pie, and plenty of it. I even brought one home for supper. It went well with the steak and caesar salad that McPie had ready and waiting...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Heather! Hard work and diligence pays off.
Sometimes I find the training is as much fun as the competition.

Sleepwalker said...

There I was, all confused about your reference to NY. Thanks to your link I almost avoided embarrassing myself...