Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Notes from the other side of the river

I've had enough experience now that I think I can safely report that dealing with civil servants in Quebec is very pleasant indeed.

I know that getting the health card was tricky, but everyone was very nice about it, and willing and able to answer my questions, in English. (Not their fault that a lot of questions were needed.)

Yesterday, I took the afternoon off to complete some oft-postponed errands, including updating by SIN card to my maiden name (about time!), and renewing my Health Card (yes, already!).
Everything went so smoothly, I could hardly believe it. The folks who helped me out acted like it was their job to help me complete these tasks -- they seemed to enjoy helping me. Maybe they were faking it, but I don't care -- they were very convincing.

And in general, there is less lining up*, and more sitting at desks (rather than standing at kiosks) which is altogether more personal.

I ended up even having a few extra minutes left in the afternoon, which I used for a stop at the local health/enviro store, where I got a giant bottle of all-natural, environmentally-friendly laundry detergent. You know, so I can give back a little to my newly adopted homeland.

(An only obliquely-related observation I've made: in stores over here, I see a lot more "Made in Quebec" and "Product of Quebec" labels than I see "... in Ontario" when shopping on the Ottawa side of river. Makes it seem even more like it's its own country here, supporting itself by its own efforts. Less selly-outy**...)

Now, if only we could apply a pleasantly Quebecois solution to the traffic situation when crossing the river... It's always harder to get home, which double-sucks.

* I was brilliant though, and brought along a book for the inevitable wait at the Service Canada outlet. Their Eyes Were Watching God is ridiculously good so far.

** Vocab obviously indicates recent immersion in Buffy...

3 comments:

Trixie said...

k, the buffy-speak made me laugh. i miss the buffy-speak. sigh.

i read their eyes are watching god for my book group last year some time. how far into are you? while i could appreciate the cultural significance of the book, i think i was reading it at top speed, trying to finish in time. i only dimly recall the book. it bogged a bit in spots, i found.

and! cold comfort farm!? really? i saw someting nasty in the woodshed! hee.

glad you are enjoying the advent of christmas :)

Ms. Hedda said...

I'm about 1/3 in... I actually find that I need to go slowly - pronounce the dialog "aloud" in my head (remember reading Trainspotting?) But I find the Hurston describes Janie's internal thought's very poetic... Like "She lived between her head and her heels" to say she didn't think into the past or the future.

Cold Comfort Farm is awesome - very funny, and more of the satirical aspects of it come through. The movie was very loyal to the book, though. It's fun to read aloud (we're reading it to each other). He hasn't seen the movie; we're going to try to find it as soon as we finish reading.

Lala said...

I read that book when I was in my teens because it was lying around the house; it took years to sink in. I posted a funny video chez moi. Venez voir!