Monday, November 12, 2007

Blech. Sick.

Thank you for your get-wells. Please, keep 'em coming - I need all the help I can get.

I am still sick-a-bed.

Friday and Saturday I thought I was a little better - enough so that we didn't cancel the wine club meeting we were hosting on Saturday night. McPie pulled more than his weight, doing most of the cooking for the event, so I could take rests and save my strength.

What is this, a Victorian novel?

Bah. Anyway, I did take it easy at the wine club (Wine of Italy in Eight Easy Lessons - subject for another post, one day when I am well.) But by Sunday afternoon, the fever and coughing was back with a vengeance and I was in tears of discomfort and exhaustion this morning.

(McPie and I haven't slept in a week -- I can't lay down for the coughing. It's worse when I do, and makes the coughing more awkward physically. For McPie, it's simply the noise, and he hasn't been able to bring himself to abandon me for the spare room, and his sanity, yet.)

So, I went to the doctor today. A stroke of luck: I called my own clinic this morning and was able to get an appointment with my very own doc first thing in the morning. She prescribed some very hardcore cough suppressant (ie: with codeine), and chest x-rays to see if it's pneumonia. My lungs weren't rattling, so she couldn't make that guess just from the examination.

So, I spent the afternoon in a codeine-induced haze. Another stroke of luck - the codeine hasn't caused any adverse reactions (yet). When I had my wisdom teeth out, the Tylenol 3's made me completely nauseous and hallucinatory. (But then, I wasn't able to really take them on a full stomach. :-) ) It really does help the cough, as opposed to the regular cough medicines I'd tried that were of no use at all. But it wear off after about three hours, and doesn't help with the fever.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to go to work; the coughing is debilitating, and the codeine haze is too! (And I'm taking the lowest dose.) Oh, and the fever is none too comfortable either.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I find out really soon that I do have pneumonia, so I can get myself fixed. If it's not pneumonia, and they don't give me antibiotics (or something, anything!) and I just have to get over this on my own ("get lots of rest and drink plenty of fluids"), I just won't know what to do.

No comments: