Monday, October 15, 2007

Tidying up

Today is my half birthday. McPie took me shopping on the weekend to celebrate. ("Any excuse to celebrate" is one of our many mottos. In fact, we have Thursdays set aside as a weekly day of celebration.)

What does it mean that every item of clothing we chose was black? Back to my roots, I say.

Anyway, cleaning out my drafts folder, here is some distraction from Oct 3:

We celebrated a year of shacking up with dinner at the ever-enjoyable Stoneface Dolly's, and then headed to the NAC for The Penelopiad. The play was incredible! Here is a review that echoes our opinion of it. Penny Downie as Penelope was really very riveting - not only her delivery (seamless switching from emotional flashbacks to bloodless narrative), but her flowing red hair and athletic physique put the icing on the cake. I was interested to watch for Jenny Young - not just because she has the same name as my grandmother -but because I've been enjoying her as Coach in the CBC radio's Afghanada. (Yes, I've succumbed to the allure of radio drama.)

There were some scenes that were incredibly effective theatrically, especially since the sets and costumes were so simple -- the near-drowning and rescue by ducks of Penelope, the tumultuous journey by ship to Ithaca, the hanging of the maids -- totally compelling and convincing, and were all done mainly by the actors movements, with just a few simple props.

I was pleased/relieved that the play wasn't overly "theatrical", I guess in the post-modern sense. It wasn't tricky or confusing or overly symbolic.

I assume this show will go on tour - I definitely recommend that you go and see it, if you enjoy theatre at all.

We've watched a few movies lately, and I liked them:

The Lookout: Made us feel awful in our bellies/throats the whole way through (impending sense of doom, feeling of sympathy and dread for the main character), but it was a very entertaining experience. The characters were interesting and I thought the acting was believable (not that know know much about that.

300: So cool! Also a good lead-in to The Penelopiad. Comic-booky in the most satisfying way. Definitely riffed on Kill Bill, Gladiator, and, needless to say, Sin City. I liked it much better than the latter. I'd gotten the impression that this was an epic historical/action flick à la Troy (which I never saw because I am picky that way)... But this was way cooler. Love the Gerard Butler! We saw him first in Beowulf & Grendel, which I also recommend.

The Bourne Ultimatum: What else to say other than: I love Jason Bourne. (Not sure if that's more or less than Gerard Butler - I'll have to spend more time with each and see... ) I also can't believe we made it out to the cinema for this one. I'm sure we are amongst the last to see this.

No comments: