Friday, August 24, 2007

Luckity luck luck

I won something! Something good! I never win anything. (I know everyone says this and it's rarely true. I've probably won things before, I just don't remember, and they fade in the light of my excitement over my current win.)

Last night we attended an evening work event. Highly unusual for my company - even our Christmas party is scheduled for the afternoon (though it's catered with good music, entertainment for kids, and whatnot). Anyway, boat cruise on the Ottawa River with buffet dinner, drink tickets (!) and door prizes (!!).

I was so shocked I could barely get up to claim my prize - they almost moved on a drew another ticket. (Well, they probably wouldn't have, but anyway.) I won a gift certificate to Beckta, one of the awesomest restos in the NCC! Extra exciting because McPie has never been there, and we often talk about going... but never get around to it. Maybe we should use it to celebrate our one-month "anniversary"? (McPie calls this the "dust anniversary".)

So, yay!

Also, the boat cruise was quite nice. We had good conversations with coworkers we don't get to chat with enough. Discovered several quirky "small world" connections, and I can't say enough about being out on the water on a calm, beautiful night.

On another note, we made an interesting discovery in the realm of first aid. Or home healthcare, I guess, because curing an ailment that's been ongoing for weeks is hardly "first" aid. Anyway, I've been struggling to manage horrible blisters that I got from new cleats. (New cleats to replace the other awful cleats that gave me blisters on other parts of my feet, and worse. Note that the OTHER toe now looks like that too. You don't want to see pics.) I know once I get the horrible heel blisters healed, the cleats will be great. However, how do you get blisters to heal when they are on a spot that is always being used? Two words:

Nipple cream.

Yep. It was McPie's brilliant idea. Turns out there's some in the cupboard from... well, maybe when the kids were little, but since their mom is a midwife, it's possible that they just had it around. Anyway, McPie has been using it as a cure-all -- kids cracked lips and dry noses and such. I put it last night on wounds that have been trying unsuccessfully to mend for weeks now, and this morning I felt the "healing itch" for the first time.

So, I highly recommend the Lansinoh for general home health care, whether that be horrible blisters from new cleats, or the "sore, cracked nipples" for which it's recommended. (Though I personally have no experience with the latter, I'm sure La Leche League knows what they're talking about...)

3 comments:

Trixie said...

congratulations on winning something. my only memory of winning anything was at that fashion show, held at your mom's school. and i won a navy blue track suit for a 5 year old. remember? your mom wasn't having any of that and started rumming around the prize pile, holding things up and yelling "how about this" while you and i tried to pretend that we were not related to her. she did get me a great pasta bowl that i still use.

as for the nipple cream, thanks to mcpie for the tip! i have most of a tube just sitting in the medicine chest and i've wondered what to do with it -- it is not really something you pass on to friends :)

Ms. Hedda said...

I totally forgot about that experience! (Repression for mental self-preservation, I'm sure.) Very funny.

Anonymous said...

Nipple cream? Didn't even know it existed. I wonder if it would work on saddle sores? I might give it a go.
Congrats on the gift certificate. Sounds like an impressive work function.