Friday, August 31, 2007

Finally

Finished Harry Potter. Phewf! What a ride!

Two nights ago I hit the point of no return and couldn't put it down. This coincided with McPie having band practice one night and a show the next, so I was alone on kid duty. Last night I scurried them off to bed early and stayed up late to finish off the book.

Am I a bad parent if I suggested that the children eat dinner in front of the TV - so I could squeeze in half an hour of reading while eating? Probably... However, Constance called me on it and insisted the three of us eat dinner together at the table. I sucked it up and with effort, cast Harry aside for the moment.

I was rewarded for my sacrifice with a rare* bout of meal-appreciation for the meaty-cheesy spaghetti. Hugs and thank yous and more pleases and subsequent warm-fuzzies abounded.


*I'm exaggerating - meal-appreciation is actually quite common in our house - B & C are great eaters, and are cooperative (even enthusiastic) about trying new things. Last night, however, they were particular effusive in their praise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

McPie Here,

Just finished the leftovers for lunch. WOW. That was tasty spaghetti. T-A-S-T-Y.

Please sir, can I have some more..

Trixie said...

ah yes, the downhill sprint to the finish. i knew i was on the cusp of the denoumont and it was 11:20 pm. i put it down and started fresh the next time, after hurrying the kid to sleep.

and ha! good for constance! hee. keep that one in your back pocket though for the day when she wants to read at the table or skip a family meal to get back to her book.

what did you think of the end of HP?

Anonymous said...

But what about the green goblin?

Ms. Hedda said...

I can't remember the ending exactly. It was a series of almost-endings again and again; a blur in my mind. The epilogue - the final tying up was sappy and predictable, not out of place or disappointing.

Divisadero, on the other hand... I've done a complete analysis on the story structure of THAT. (Read it in two sittings - car on the way home from Hamilton and Tuesday morning in bed with the remains of the Family Rhinovirus.)