Friday, July 20, 2007

Because we are total, utter geeks

We used our freebie to go to the park and practice frisbee.

The threatening weather that caused the game cancellation didn't transpire during the evening, and we wanted a workout. We put on our cleats (yes, we're THAT geeky) and headed to the soccer field at Lac des Fées. The program: disc reading and jumping while running. McPie is very good at these things, so he was the master, I was the student. For once. (Kidding!)

Full disclosure to illustrate the level of geekiness that you maybe haven't fully grasped yet: McPie rigged up a tool to aid in the jumping while running drill. Extensible curtain rod with velcro + disc with velcro = a frisbee dangling overhead to run at and jump up to grab. Do you know how many times in ten minutes you can run at a hanging frisbee, when you don't have to take the time to throw and retrieve? A LOT.

It was SO cool.

In my defense, I have an excuse. I found out yesterday that I'm going to get to play on a women's team at Nationals (it's Toronto this year). Suddenly, I need to learn/hone skills, not to mention get fit enough to play nine games in three days (hey wait - I got close this week, right?) The tournament begins August 9th...

So, the practicing is more about confidence that actual skill development, and I find the former affects the game tremendously. I've been over at Victoria's Island, being inspired by the stories of racing, and the mental gymnastics that go along with competition. Feeling strong is darn near as important as being strong... and with only 19 days to go before the first game, it's more realistic fix my brain than my body! ('Course, that might be just as deluded.)

Also, I think I maybe should get myself some new cleats before the big tourney. You think?

*Warning: do NOT click on the picture to view a close-up. Ew.
(This may look familiar to you frisbee players, but it's never happened to me before, after seven years. It's the cleats! And I reserve the right to whine about it. Because I am such a delicate flower.)

6 comments:

Trixie said...

i'm not sure you get to use the delicate flower defense when you do something intentionally that results in an injury.

glad you enjoyed your free night. and yea! about nationals.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the Nationals! Looking forward to reading all about it.

Your toes look sore. New cleats are definitely needed. The sooner the better - you need to make sure they are broken in for August 9th.

The drill sounds like fun - I'm into drills as well. Nice feeling of accomplishment after such a work-out.

Anonymous said...

make sure that your laces are tight. A couple of years ago I played a day thinking, oh, I'll tighten them up later and stop my toes from bumping in to the end. The good news is that, it only takes one year for the nails to fall out and grow back to their full lady-like glory.

Ms. Hedda said...

If I tightened my laces any more, my entire toe would go black from lack of circulation. The blackened toe nail is actually a secondary issue... (Notice the bruise is on the SIDE? I don't think it's from basic bumping.) Nope, I think I'm headin' back to soccer cleats!

Anonymous said...

for Scarlett? or which team which TEAM - she screamed because she was JEALOUS

Ms. Hedda said...

A BC team dropped out so a spot opened up for Ontario. Women from Big Fish + pick-ups = CatFish. We'll probably be seeded 16th and will be lucky to beat our seed! If I'm considered one of the "vets", we're in for a rough ride!