Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tricky kid eludes decoding

It seems like it should be so simple: feed the baby, burp the baby, change the baby's diapers, and enjoy the happy baby.

Ha! Ha ha ha ha!

It's trickier than I'd have thought (but many people could have told me) to achieve the trifecta of fed-gasless-and-dry. We spend so many hours cycling through the basics chasing synchronicity. And then collapse in exhaustion on the never-made bed. (McPie says the bed is no longer simply a bed; it has become a habitat.)

And then there's the barely decipherable shriek of Mama-you're-not-loving-me-enough! Cuddle me MORE! Which is actually code for I need Dad.

I may have the liquid gold that gets him through the day, but Dad? He's the baby whisperer.

* Note the DIY diaper cover in the photo! Wool soaker fits like a glove and works like a charm. Here's a closer look (aka: excuse to add another photo of cute baby.)

3 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

It's hard to decide who's the cutest of the two (ah! but McPie does not wear the cool diaper cover now, does he?)

Mel said...

Absolutely adorable!

And don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a happy routine before you know it. And they eventually become self-burping, but that's a few months away yet :)

Enjoy your little guy!

Trixie said...

he's pretty cute, hk.

and, uh, yeah. good luck! i never really appreciated it when people told me that it doesn't stay that way forever because it surely seemed like it was never going to get easier. but both you and i have proof that they do eventually get out of this phase.