Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Highlights and lowlights of my mini job

I have a real job this week, editing a PhD thesis. The job is really getting in the way of getting things done! My sister is arriving this evening for a visit and the house is a mess, and I have no groceries. Sigh. But I've been getting the kids to do more and more housework -- they are cooperative.

Another silver lining: I'm loving the editing! I can hardly tear myself away. Seriously, I keep trying to squeeze in a half hour here and there, and find myself saying "just one more page before I start supper...." I love digging through the APA Publication Manual, I love tracking back through to make sure I've been consistent, I love debating the choice between Cdn and American spelling, I love choosing a much better word, I love staring a sentences trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with that? I love the fiddly details.

I have no idea why this is so much better than writing. I guess I'm just not an ideas person. But if someone's willing to pay me to simply fix up their ideas, I'm okay with that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun! Must be a nice change from software docs.

Sleepwalker said...

Sounds like you got yourself a niche!

daddy-o said...

frigging editors.