Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hidden help, and other updates

I've been procrastinating posting today because so much has been going on lately I didn't know where to start. Then something happened late in the afternoon that must be captured in writing.
Constance was home from school (she doesn't go to daycare any more; instead, she walks home by herself everyday at the typical 3:30.) She was emailing on the computer at the dining room table. I got off the phone and announced "Well, I guess it's time to clean the bathroom", and headed in the direction thereof.

Constance's head popped up from behind the laptop. "Really? Can I do it? I love cleaning the bathroom!" She ran over, beat me to the bathroom, and immediately began questioning me about which products I use for which fixtures.

I am totally not kidding. Nor am I dreaming (though I thought I must be for a bit); the bathroom is totally clean (even the mirror and the chrome on the tub faucet), and I had no part in it whatsoever. She even told me that whenever the bathroom needed cleaning, I should ask her to do it. Because she likes it better than all the other chores. I was quick to agree to that deal.

She also spilled the beans that Ben is very good at doing dishes. Apparently (and this is her word only, because the most we ask them to do is get their dishes from the table to the dishwasher, and even that is touch 'n' go most times), he doesn't always like to do the dishes, but once he gets going on the task, he goes all out, even doing some little extras.

I have so much to learn about this parenting business! Of course it regularly occurs to me that I should get the kids to participate in chores more, but I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to domestic duties, and the thought of having to supervise them (and nag them) through things seems like more work that it's worth, so I usually just do things myself. But clearly they are being trained off-site (handy!), and with this new revelation, I think I may be ready to let go of my whole "this needs to be done just-so" attitude, and let them have at 'er.

And best to get these habits established before I actually start needing real help from them in a few months. I can't wait until McPie comes home to tell him this news -- our kids can clean!

(Of course, he's been struggling with the feeling that he's losing his ability to contribute around the house, since I now have time to do so much more. That's how amazing my husband is -- he's upset that he doesn't get to do chores much any more! I've started "saving" things for him to do -- sometimes dishes, sometimes taking out the recycling -- poor thing.)

In other news, we just returned home from a mini-vacation to Florida. McPie's frisbee team was playing at the UPA National Championships in Sarasota. I went along because of November's cold, lack of sun-ness. In Sarasota, there is no cold, and there is plenty of sun. There are also beautiful beaches and plenty of seafood. It was wonderful. I even managed to get out for a run while I was there.

We arrived home Sunday night, in time for the next tempest of activity. Monday (yesterday) was Constance's 11th birthday (coincidentally, also Baba's birthday), and it was also the day scheduled for our first ultrasound. We picked the kids up early from school, attended the ultrasound appointment all together, and then headed to the Moms' place for a family birthday dinner of delicious fajitas and homemade checkered (white and choco) cake. (Maman is a fabulous baker.) How great a homecoming is that?

I'm still digesting the whole experience that was brought to us by the wonder of medical technology. I'll save it for tomorrow -- I can't wait to tell about it!

3 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

Stop it! You're going to make me want to have kids now! (or maybe I can just borrow Constance?) Great post - can't wait to read tomorrow's...

Trixie said...

maybe having 4 parents is the trick because seriously, your kids are not normal.

though, when my mom went back to work when i was ten, i was making dinner two nights a week (from a planned menu that we created and shopped for on saturdays), doing my laundry and my brother's laundry on mondays after school (including folding! i hate folding), and sheets and towels on tuesdays. on staurday mornings we were hauled out of bed and made to dust and vacuum a floor each and i had three bathrooms to clean. I also cleaned the kitchen every night after dinner. when i remind my mother of this, she has dim recollections that i did that much housework. somehow it has been burned into my memory.

my brothers were responsible for outdoor maintenance. and they knew how to do their laundry.

i did all of that work because my father would have been very angry with me if i didn't. fear of grounding was my motivator.

so i say if you have a willing helper, try to loosen up a bit on the control and let the kids do the tasks that interest them. i bet constance would love to be responsible for dinner once a week since she enjoys your meals so much.

Tosca Reno has a clean eating cookbook for kids and has some tasty recipes. or check the library and let her choose ones that appeal. they do make kid's cookbooks.

we look forward to the day jack can steam milk, pull shots and bring it to us in bed. we're thinking age 4 :)

Ms. Hedda said...

Constance already makes a top-notch omelette. :-)

I was just saying to Ken this morning that a good use of my new-found time, patience, and calmness would be to let/get the kids do/ing stuff around the house. As Ken put it: encourage them to be fully active in the household. :-)