Thursday, January 10, 2008

Highly recommended

I've had some fantastic reading experiences lately and want to share my discoveries with you.

Just before the holidays, I finished reading Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston. It was completely gripping, with wonderfully unique and poetically way of describing a woman's conception of herself in relationship to... relationships. Anyway, really good book, and way more of a page turner than I expected.

Then, speaking of page-turners: Fingersmith. I'm going to read more Sarah Waters because Fingersmith was amazing. Les Mamans lent it to me in preparation for our next-after-next book club. I could not put it down. At all. Surpriso McTwisterson! I won't tell you anything about it, just trust me. I didn't absorb much "thematic" points of interest, because I was so taken by the plot, but it's really well-written... but which I mean I didn't notice I was reading words, I was just absorbing the story.

On the more mind-melting side of things, we've found a methadone to our Buffy addiction: Battlestar Galactica. Yum.

3 comments:

Trixie said...

we've heard battlestar galatica is really good. frack! we'll have to get on that.

have you watched veronica mars yet? you should.

i just put a hold on fingersmith.

happy weekend, friend.

Ms. Hedda said...

'Kay. We'll do Veronica, if you do BSG. :-) It might be a 2009 thing though, because between the two we're good for a long while...

Oh, you'll like Fingersmith! Tell me when you've started it (if you can tear yourself away long enough... )

Anonymous said...

back in the day (ask mcpie about this era), I never imagined that cylons could be so hot. I still have season 2 and season 2.5 to go. yay.
These other shows your talking about, are they those book-things I've heard about?